Friday, February 5, 2010

PARAGRAPHIA LAND




Things are going well in PARAGRAPHIA LAND ( :
As well as writin 'bout writin here in the blogoshere, I have actually been doing some writing; as well as currently wrangling ye old arts promotion day job.

In month one I have sent off writing submissions of:
- a spoken word piece to a festival
- creative writing and non-fiction on health issues to a women's studies journal
- poetry to a lesbian journal from the poetry collection I am working on

We'll see how all that goes. Next up an opinion piece to a newspaper; and some writing on the meandering route of the performance artist to a theatre newsletter.

I never did get that "what color is your parachute" concept of working out what you are good at, and therefor what kind of work you should do. I always thought wouldn't your parachute be multicolored? How else do we explain musicians who are also lawyers?

This aint poetry, but it may sum up the gist of the poetry book I am working on, it's prosetry from a few years back; it's multicolored:

swan song
I will always love you. Because, when I discovered on the world wide web at 3 a.m that a short story I had written had been published in an international book of women writers 3 years ago, I burst into your room at 4 a.m where you were soundly sleeping and told you the good news, announcing I felt like dancing. You said with some good-natured amusement - go on then! Later under the covers in the dark when I had calmed down somewhat, you asked me what color I could see. You saw violet I think, and I said I saw silver, and turquoise and aquamarine, and green, and yellow and blue and orange and so on. You said that was not possible. I leapt out of bed and bounced back in with what I considered intractable evidence. Two Fortune cookie sayings tacked to my desk from a recent meal - one of the first in this home we share. One said "your mind is creative, original and alert", and the other "sometimes the best choice is to choose all options". You agreed I may have a point. Later that day, by 5pm you had not arrived home as planned, for me to go to a meeting in the car. I had no idea where you were, was frantically calling the cell phone, when a paramedic finally answered, my heart was in my mouth when I urged him to tell me, everything. It was with much relief I heard you in the background, of what I now knew was an ambulance, bossing him around. I was so happy to hear your conscious, lucid, living voice, post car crash.


No comments:

Post a Comment